Updated on 20 January 2022 (New)
UPDATED! Sandbox programme expanded from 1 February 2022
Pattaya and Ko Chang among the reopened destinations joining the existing Krabi, Phang-Nga, Phuket, and Samui Sandbox programme, plus reintroduction of the Sandbox Extension programme.
From 1 February, 2022, Thailand will reopen Bang Lamung, Pattaya, Si Racha, Si Chang, and Sattahip – only Na Jomtien and Bang Saray – in Chon Buri, and Ko Chang in Trat as Sandbox destinations, in addition to Krabi, Phang-Nga, Phuket, and Ko Samui/Ko Pha-ngan/Ko Tao.
The Sandbox Extension programme will also be introduced between Phuket, Phang-Nga, Krabi, and Ko Samui/Ko Pha-ngan/Ko Tao, where Sandbox travellers can travel within these destinations during the first 7 days in Thailand.
Updated on 28 October 2022
For travelers whose countries have not made it onto the "low-risk" countries list, they are not allowed to travel freely in Thailand. But a 17 so-called "blue zone" provinces in Thailand will be opened to these vaccinated travelers during their first 7 days in the kingdom. In addition to the same testing requirements as those low-risk countries, they will also be subject to a further test on day 6 or 7 of their stay. This test will be carried out using an antigen test kit, making it cheaper than PCR testing. The Bangkok Post reports that from December, the “blue zones” will expand to 33 provinces and then 45 from January. To qualify as a blue zone, a province must have vaccinated at least 70% of its population.
Designation of pilot tourism destinations (Sandbox) as below (17 provinces):
2. Samut Prakan (only the Suvarnabhumi Airport)
3. Chonburi (only Bang Lamung District, Pattaya, Koh Si Chang District, Tambon Na Jomtien and Bang Sare)
4. Rayong (only Koh Samet)
5. Trat (only Koh Chang District)
6. Phetchaburi (only Cha-am Municipality)
7. Prachuap Khiri Khan (only Tambon Hua Hin and Tambon Nong Kae)
9. Phang Nga
11. Ranong (Koh Phayam)
12. Surat Thani (only Koh Samui, Koh Phangan and Koh Tao)
13. Chiang Mai (only Muang District, Doi Tao District, Mae Rim District and Mae Taeng District)
14. Loei (only Chiang Khan District)
15. Buriram (only Muang District)
16. Udon Thani (only Muang District, Ban Dung District, Kumphawapi District, Nayoong District, Nong Han District and Prachaksinlapakhom District)
17. Nong Khai (only Muang District, Sangkhom District, Sri Chiang Mai District and Tha Bo District)
**The designation is subject to change (s) of the situation**
After you get a negative result from Test & Go in Bangkok you can travel to Bluezone provinces (by air only)